[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: what are realistic threats?

Larry Masinter writes:

> I expect every piece of freeware I get to come with an explicit
> disclaimer that the software comes AS IS and that there are no
> warrantees against bugs or misfeatures and no liability on the part of
> the producer, etc.  I'm not sure what the signature of the producer
> buys me.

That the copy you have matches the one that the author created.
Since there is little reason to suspect the NCSA of writing
trojan horses, I would tend to trust a Mosaic distribution signed by
the NCSA.  A distribution without the signature would be more suspect...

Christian "Key distribution is still a problem"